Thursday, February 20, 2014

Speaking the Language



Speaking the Language

There are those in this world who just don’t get it.  We try our best to explain, to clarify and to prove the existence of our God, but we fail at convincing those who are determined that we are the ones who need to learn a new language.  We speak a universal language of love, God’s love, but to those who choose to view things differently, its if we are speaking a foreign language. 

“You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.” 1 John 4:4-6(NKJV)

I find it hard to believe that there are still those people in this world who simply are convinced there is no God, and there is no need to worship something that does not exist.  I try to imagine how empty their lives must be because without God, there is no hope, no promises, no future.  I often will try to empathize with these people, but I’m too far gone in believing I have a Savior and that He will return one day to take me home.  How can anyone not want that, not need that and never believe that? 

When I read the Bible, it’s as if God is speaking to me personally, and in a language I fully understand.  Regardless of the translation, God speaks to me when I read His Word.  It’s a universal language we all need to understand.  But there are those who refuse to read or listen to God’s Holy Word because it can be convicting.  They feel that as long as they refuse to know or to understand right and wrong, they are under no obligation to live their lives that way.  They refuse to learn God’s universal language of love.  I can hear them saying “what I don’t know can’t hurt me.”  But that is the furthest from the truth. 

As Christians, we are commanded to “love our neighbor as ourself.”  One of the ways we can do this is to teach them the language.  We can spread the message of our Lord and Savior by teaching them God’s language of love.  The best method for this is to learn what we can, when we can so that we know all we can in order to teach others. 

Learning the language of God’s love is simple.  His Word is full of living examples, moving demonstrations and awe-inspiring stories of just how much He loves us.  It’s up to us to teach this language to the world, instead of having the world teach us another language. 

“in the world, not of the world”

No comments:

Post a Comment