Sunday, June 23, 2013

Be Still



Be Still!

We often heard this from our parents, or said these words to our children.  It can be very difficult to get them to listen, or just be quiet or still, so that we can get a point across.  These words come out of our mouths when we just want a little peace to come to our world, a small dose of tranquility in a very stressful and demanding world.  God often tells His devoted followers to do this, to be still.  He wanted to show them just how much He loves them, and He wanted to get their attention when doing it. 

“And Moses said to the people, ‘Do not be afraid. Stand still, and see the salvation of the Lord, which He will accomplish for you today.’” Exodus 14:13(NKJV)

“You will not need to fight in this battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the Lord, who is with you,”  2 Chronicles 20:17(NKJV)

“Be angry, and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still.” Psalm 4:4(NKJV)

Psalm 46 is a great verse to remember.  It is one of my favorites, and one that speaks to me when I’m not feeling God’s presence.  This is the one that says it all, that tells me just who God is, and how He wants me to “be still.”  God wants to get our attention.
“Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!” Psalm 46:10(NKJV)

In this hectic pace of just trying to get from one day to the next, it can be very difficult, very demanding and very “unworldly” to slow down, or to “be still.”  We often will hurry to the next meeting, the next game or the next big event, struggling to find the time for our God.  We will often see someone “being still” and remark about how they are simply wasting their time.  We may want to take another look, and follow their lead.  When we just can’t “be still” long enough to breathe, or to even pay more attention to those needing it, we are moving way too fast for our God.  We need to slow down long enough to listen, and in order to hear, we need to “be still.” 

I can hear my Holy Father telling me to “be still.” 

“in the world, not of the world”

No comments:

Post a Comment