Wednesday, March 13, 2013

stop bugging me


Ok, Ok, Ok…stop bugging me!

I can hear my parents saying this to me when I was growing up.  I was a very persistent little tyke and could wear them down in order to get something I wanted.  We all did this when we were young, demanding things over and over until we had worn them down and they would simply give up, give in and give us what we wanted.  This type of perseverance was like money in the bank when it came to getting things we wanted, or getting our way when we needed it.  Our Parent in Heaven, our Father God, also favors this persistence and perseverance when it comes to all things good. 

“And He said to them, ‘which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him, friend, lend me three loaves; for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him; and he will answer from within and say, Do not trouble me; the door is shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you.  I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.’” Luke 11:5-8(NKJV)

Persistence can be a powerful tool when used correctly.  Persistence can also be your worst enemy if we are being persistent about being sinful, or asking for wants and desires versus petitioning our God for something we need to serve His purpose.  God created us in order to serve His purpose here on this earth.  He has equipped us with the Holy Spirit in order to make sure we are aware of not only His purpose, but the things we need in order to make it happen.  God did not create us to live our life the way we feel it needs to be lived.  If that were the case, we would never want for anything, or have the desire to have more because there would be no need.  God gives us a promise, through His Son Jesus Christ.  “If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone?  Or if he asks for a fish will he give him a serpent instead of a fish?  Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?  If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!” Luke 11:11-13(NKJV)

The way I see it, the only task we have left to accomplish is to ask for things that are part of God’s will for our lives.  We do this by being persistent with these requests, never making half-hearted, lifeless petitions to our God for the things He knows we need.  God reminds us of this preferred stubbornness that He favors in several passages.  In Hebrews, we are told to “run with perseverance the race set before us.” Hebrews 12:1(NRSV)
“But those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” Isaiah 40:31(NRSV)

We just need to be persistent about doing His will, His way, because it’s His world, His universe.  We even pray for this when we say “Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven.” Matthew 6:10(NRSV)  I know you are being “persistent” about praying the Lord’s prayer.  May pastor even talked about this in his sermon Sunday, reminding us that this is a very important piece to solving the world’s problems. 
“So I say to you, Ask, and it will be given; search and you will find; knock, and the door will be opened for you.  For everyone who asks receives, and everyone who searches finds, and for everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.” Luke 11:9-10(NRSV)

We just need to be the nagging little child and keep asking, seeking and knocking.  How annoying is that?

“in the world, not of the world”

No comments:

Post a Comment