Saturday, March 2, 2013


“You can’t always get what you want”

Wow, I’m having a flashback to my earlier years of listening to rock music.  I was reading in the Gospels this morning, trying to figure out why there is so much confusion over why we can’t have what we pray for.  There is always something that we feel we just can’t survive without, so we pray to our God for this particular means or blessing to come into our lives, only to find that we are having to do without it.  I’m not sure if Mick Jagger had this in mind when singing the song lyrics, but in a way, it fits.  We can’t always have what we want. 

“Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to my Father.  And whatever you ask in My name, that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.  If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.” John 14:12-14(NKJV) When we first read this passage, it sounds as if we have been given a blank check, or in these times a new debit card with an unlimited balance.  But that’s not quite what Jesus was trying to say.  A deeper reflection into the passage is needed in order to understand the meaning. 

When we pray for something, then end the prayer with “in Jesus’ name” we feel that we have done our part in asking.  But God has something else in mind.  What this truly means is three-fold.  “First, the believer’s prayer should be for His (God’s) purposes and kingdom and not selfish reasons.  Second, the believer’s prayer should be on the basis of His merits and not any personal merit or worthiness.  Third, the believer’s prayer should be in pursuit of His glory alone.” MacArthur Study Bible, Notes on John 14:13,14 NKJV  When we look at how Jesus taught His disciples to pray, He clearly states that “Thy kingdom come, thy (God’s) will be done.” Matthew 6:10(NKJV)  This tells me that it’s God’s will we are praying for and not ours. 

We will often confuse our will for God’s, hoping that God sees things the same way we do.  I have news for you, and for me as well.  God sees things very differently.  God is the God of the universe, and His will is the only thing He is concerned with.  It’s His world, His creation and “Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.”  We are not the sole occupants of this earth, nor are we able to operate in that manner.  Our God is a loving, caring God, and will give us what we need in order to love others appropriately.  This is His will, but unfortunately not always ours.  In Matthew, Jesus taught us how to pray, and when we do, things will come to us if it is God’s will that we have it.  I think it would make this whole process much easier if we took the time to ask for things that we know are a part of God’s will for His people, and not the selfish things we sometimes petition our God for.  Just remember, “you can’t always get what you want, but if you try (prayer) sometimes, you might just find, you get what you need.” 

 Anyone seen my Rolling Stones album?

“in the world, not of the world”

No comments:

Post a Comment